Tuesday, July 24, 2007

Patterns, patterns, patterns and science!

So today I got really really excited about SCIENCE. The last thing that I thought I would be getting excited about while taking this course is well science. This is all thanks to my professor Joy, who is a textile engineer. When she starts talking about visual perception, color chemistry, and my personal favorite- mach bands she seriously gets our entire class excited. I may just have to sign up for the chemistry of dyes and pigments class in the spring, even though I have fulfilled all of my math and science credits! Imagine that!

Besides science, I also got excited about textiles when I realized that we need to have our final designs in by Monday and then we starts printing! Yesterday and today we played around with making all over patterns, straight repeats, 1/2 drop, and I accidentally did a 1/3 drop too. I am slowly putting together ideas on my studio wall for what my final pattern is going to be inspired by. I think its interesting to look at how my mood board changes from day to day. I don't have a photo of yesterday but here is what it looked like at the end of class today.

My studio space

Here is a 1/3 drop that I was playing around with yesterday. This one was inspired by the sketches of did of the massive shoe collection at the Nordika Muset in Stockholm.

Shoes!!

The beginning stages of a pattern based off of a necklace that I saw at the design museum in Helsinki, Finland. I believe it was made my Paula Hairaoja, but I am probably a few letters off somewhere because my google results are not producing anything jewelry related.
Beginning stages of necklace inspired pattern

Still in progress and much too linear (and I can't draw perfect circles because I don't have a compass!) , I am going to try to rework this one tonight.
Still in Progress

The rest of my photos are in a bit of disarray at the moment but can be found at http://www.flickr.com/photos/kimberly_m_lewis/